65th Infantry Division recognition plaque at the Kirchham Concentration Camp
At the time of the Kirchham Camp liberation there were about 2000 German, 1500 Russian and 7500 Hungarian prisoners. Lt. Frank Hamburger's platoon with only 63 men of Company C, 260th Reg., were responsible for guarding this large group of armed Hungarians. This was also the location of a military airport near Pocking, Germany.
The bronze, outdoor, 16" x 12" liberation plaque was dedicated on May 6, 2011, on the location where many deceased children, borne of inmates, area also buried. The area also hosts other significant memorials and monuments, Roy Heatherly and Robert Patton presented a beautiful blue and white floral arrangement in the shape of a Halbert for the ceremony in which Anton Freudenstein, the Mayor of Kirchham participated. Helmut Kepler, the mayor of Pocking, gave the welcome address, followed by appropriate remarks made by Brig. Gen. Stanley Reinhart, Jr whose father commanded the 65th Division.
Lena Altweger played the flute, providing the music that accompanied the ceremony. An inmate at Kirchham, Lena's grandfather had pointed out a safe way for the 65th to get into Furstenzell.
Photo 1: Anna Rosmus, Honorary Member of the 65th Division Association, standas with Helmut Krepler, who is the Mayor of Pocking, Germany. Bend them stands Lena Altweger, the granddaughter of a former inmate who played the flute for the ceremony.
Photo 2: Lena Altweger (Who also happens to be Anna Rosmus's sister's niece) listens as Brig. Gen. Stanley Reinhart, Jr. delivers his remarks.
65th Infantry Division recognition plaque at the Hersbruck Concentration Camp
Bronze plaque recognizing the liberation of the Hersbruck Concentration Camp by the 65th Infantry Division to be installed as part of a Memorial Pavilion honoring those who lost their lives there. This liberation was accomplished on April 20-21, 1945, by several members of K Company, 261st Infantry Regiment.
Peter Schon, Chairman, der Dokumentationsstatte KZ Hersbruck, presents the plaque to the public explaining that it is to be part of the Memorial Pavilion slated for completion in 2011.